Wednesday 9 March 2016

Unexpected Opportunities Are Welcome

Let me tell you about January 8. I like it. It is so symbolic. And many people pretty much think that way too I suppose! People choose it as wedding date, business launch date, or a date to file important documents and make big decisions. January is the first month of the year, while the number eight is circular and thus "it never ends" as it is written like the infinity symbol, only upright. What day could appear luckier than that?

I myself have reserved that date for the launching of my education project, but the year is an open date. Nonetheless, January 8 of this year has become remarkable for me too because Shoppersguide.com.ph (SG) has been launched! But if I had been rigid, I wouldn’t have seen it launched and skyrocketing now, albeit with some bumps as it is only in its beta stage, but nevertheless! Does the success have to do with being launched on a lucky day? Perhaps, but I think it has to do with preparedness and taking a leap of faith. That’s what happened to me when I joined SG.

Shoppersguide is “the one-stop national online directory and guide for shoppers, diners, and travelers to find stores, restaurants, and resorts offering specific brands, food, or services with just a few clicks.” I work part-time at SG and have been rendering editorial services for them.

I shop often and I love dining out every now and then, but traveling hasn't really been my priority for some reasons. When I was offered the gig, for awhile, I thought I would be a misfit. And besides, what would happen to the project I am working on?

Fortunately, I had the chance to weigh things over and went on to accept the job. They wanted someone who can write and edit have knowledge and interest in shopping, dining, traveling, and web writing. I am all that except for the traveling part, but I am quite an armchair expert on that. I have explored many places in my reading and watching. And now, thanks to this project, I have already been traveling for work assignments and have gone to Bacolod and Cebu City. Closest friends say it's my luck, and they are right, but I would like to consider it more than anything else a blessing waiting to arrive when I have found my courage and the timing is right.

Travel Writing Opportunities Philippines
Take a leap of faith and fly!


Two months since it has launched, Shoppersguide has been ranking No. 1 for many of its articles. We couldn't be prouder. I have a learned a lot and have shared so much of my knowledge too. Information, Education, and Communication (IEC) have been my greatest passions (with arts and sciences trailing closely behind), which I intend to focus on in my dream project. But now, with SG, I am able to do it already together with intelligent friends and colleagues. SG is a dream project by itself. I believe in its mission of giving chances for small businesses around the country, even those from the remotest of places, a chance to be heard of and reached online.

I guess the learning to be taken here is that I should be more open to opportunities that come my way. I shouldn't limit myself to my comfort zone or to what other people will say. Even money to be earned shouldn’t be my primary motivation, but the experiences to be gained: if the opportunity will be a great vehicle for learning and improving myself, even if the income isn’t very appealing, I should take it! That’s Robert Kiyosaki speaking too.

In welcoming unexpected opportunities, no matter the date or time of year, we should choose those that will make us grow. Ultimately, we’d be surprised where the experience will take us, and often it could even be beneficial in attaining our "fixed goals."


No comments:

Post a Comment